Monday, July 20, 2015

On Receiving Orphaned Kittens (or How Not Being Able to Say NO Can Lead to Becoming a Crazy Cat Lady)

    Photo by Mary Bach

Meditation time
is confined to the bathroom
and my Zen sand garden
is a litter box
tended between loads
of laundry.
My life is filled with
dry, crusty milk replacer
and grace.


When Karin asked us to write about grace in the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads I thought I could tell about recent events at my house.  My husband is a vet and we own a rural, veterinary practice that mainly serves farmers. And in our small community I'm known to be a push over for orphans and waifs, so every once-in-a-while when a farmer runs over a mother cat the babies somehow find thier way to my house.  My son insists we are one litter away from being featured on the show "Animal Hoarders," but in spite of everything... I still feel this (sort of) falls under the category of grace. 

Look at this adorableness!

I'll close with a quote: "Don't forget to spay and neuter your pets."  -Bob Barker (and me!)




13 comments:

  1. This is a beautifully utilitarian kind of spirituality and grace, and though short, manages to convey much generosity of spirit. Thanks, Mary. K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say crazy cat lady like it's a bad thing.

    Thank you. I have another friend that is raising orphaned kittens. Hers are beginning to eat real food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this definitely does fall under the 'grace' category. You are a lovely, crazy cat lady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing wrong with being a crazy cat lady lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. "my Zen sand garden
    is a litter box"

    That is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww...I don't blame you!! Super cute and at least you're responsible about it. I love the same line that MZ mentioned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a kind heart tending to those babies ~ Good luck but it seems that you are having a lot of fun ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these lines : "my Zen sand garden/is a litter box"--I have been there, not just literally, but worse, mentally! ;_) I am proud of you for loving and helping the helpless, no matter what others call it. It doesn't seem at all crazy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The brightest sign of grace is to see grace where others might not... You shine, wonderfully "Crazy Cat Lady". ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so kind to do this. Risking a feature on "Animal Hoarders" is definitely a sign of a warm heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've found one of the best ways to receive "grace." Keep up the good writing and the good work.
    Steve K.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know James Herriot was still kicking! ~

    ReplyDelete